After being on dialysis on mostly afternoons for nearly 10 months, a schedule change will find me moving into an early-morning slot starting shortly after 7 o’clock on three days each week.

Going to work at what I term as my new part-time job, the early time is nothing new. As an army cook while serving in the U.S. Army Reserves, there were many dark mornings where a 12-hour shift would begin as early as 4 o’clock. The mission would be to crack enough eggs in preparing to handle 300 to 500 hungry soldiers lining up to consume a menu of eggs cooked to order, trays upon trays of bacon, stacks of hotcakes, sometimes oatmeal or grits and biscuits or toast. Preparation had to be completed in about 90 minutes, with all the troops being fed generally within a one-hour feeding window. The army does like to get its numbers at their workplaces rather early. And as the bromide is stated: “An army does travel on its stomach.”

While working at various newspapers over a 50-year period, some stops required rather early hours. While at the Indianapolis News in the 1980s, the starting time was 3:30, with a half-dozen edition deadlines to be met one after another methodically by noon. At the Belvidere Daily Republican in Northern Illinois, the day would begin at 4 o’clock in the morning to put together the editorial page, then a quick trip home to clean up for the day, before returning to the office by 7 a.m.

I am looking forward to the new treatment time. My wife, Maureen, may differ with the time change, since she will need to rise earlier than usual to transport me to the treatment center about 15 minutes away. We are still searching for a way to get me home, with treatments to be completed generally no later than 11:30. It’s a long walk home — about six miles. Since Maureen is still working full time, her schedule does not always allow her to be available for transportation needs. Maybe I should consider one of those electric and driver-less Tesla vehicles; I don’t think Medicare would take care of that, though.

One benefit that might arise from the treatment time change, though, is it will provide me with consistent hours to promote my new book (Dialing in on DI-AL-Y-SIS) at least half a day on the three dialysis treatment days.